Author Topic: Favorite Video Game OSTs  (Read 4798 times)

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
Favorite Video Game OSTs
« on: November 14, 2023, 04:52:33 PM »
There are a lot more OSTs from video games other than Touhou, so I'm interested to see if anyone else has any specific favorites or just ones that they've enjoyed. I know some people don't really listen to video game soundtracks often, but if you've had a positive experience with one, please share it!

For me, I would say most Super Nintendo games have really enjoyable soundtracks that I often listen to, but i'll make a list of some of my all-time favorites here:
  • Earthbound - I really enjoy the funkiness to it and it has some tracks i'll listen to regularly.
  • Chrono Trigger - It's such a mystical sounding soundtrack, I really recommend.
  • Sonic 1, 2, & 3 - The Genesis instrumentation really helps them, but most of them are really catchy.
  • Mother 1 - I wouldn't put this over Earthbound since so many of the tracks are identical, but the songs that are different are really nice.
  • Melty Blood - It has a weirdly great selection of tracks, not for everyone but it's pretty good.
  • Legend of Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask - A lot of it has a lot of good melodies and I enjoy the somber tones of Majora's Mask.
  • Megaman X 1, 2, & 3 - 1 & 3 are the best in terms of enjoyment for me, but I love 2's complexity.
  • Any Kirby Game - I like the original gameboy tunes a lot but most of Kirby's OSTs are awesome.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
Re: Favorite Video Game OSTs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 05:15:02 PM »
I'll just list the first two Fallout games. This music is amazing and more people should know about it.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
There are a lot more OSTs from video games other than Touhou, so I'm interested to see if anyone else has any specific favorites or just ones that they've enjoyed. I know some people don't really listen to video game soundtracks often, but if you've had a positive experience with one, please share it!

For me, I would say most Super Nintendo games have really enjoyable soundtracks that I often listen to, but i'll make a list of some of my all-time favorites here:
  • Earthbound - I really enjoy the funkiness to it and it has some tracks i'll listen to regularly.
  • Chrono Trigger - It's such a mystical sounding soundtrack, I really recommend.
  • Sonic 1, 2, & 3 - The Genesis instrumentation really helps them, but most of them are really catchy.
  • Mother 1 - I wouldn't put this over Earthbound since so many of the tracks are identical, but the songs that are different are really nice.
  • Melty Blood - It has a weirdly great selection of tracks, not for everyone but it's pretty good.
  • Legend of Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask - A lot of it has a lot of good melodies and I enjoy the somber tones of Majora's Mask.
  • Megaman X 1, 2, & 3 - 1 & 3 are the best in terms of enjoyment for me, but I love 2's complexity.
  • Any Kirby Game - I like the original gameboy tunes a lot but most of Kirby's OSTs are awesome.
You put Earthbound and Mother 1 but don't put Mother 3.
I can't choose between Earthbound or Mother 3 at gun point, both OSTs are masterpieces.
(Nintendo, please localize Mother 3)

I'll just list the first two Fallout games. This music is amazing and more people should know about it.

I love Fallout OST, especially 4's, so much in fact that I'm unironically getting into 40-50's music because of it.

Some OSTs that I think should be mentioned:
•Guilty Gear Strive: Every song is peak, the zenith of vocal video game OSTs.
•Octopath Traveler: Great orchestral music, makes me want to become an opera singer.
•Persona: Especially 4's, followed up by 5's then 3's
•The World Ends With You: Not as good as the others but it has some great gems of music.
Honourable Mentions: Terraria, Minecraft, Halo 3 ODST, Cuphead and Omori

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 07:56:37 PM »
I love Fallout OST, especially 4's, so much in fact that I'm unironically getting into 40-50's music because of it.
Like this piece here?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 08:01:44 PM »
Lately I've been listening to Gunvein OST. Not a shmup I play (too much bombspamming for my taste) but the tracks are quite memorable. Speaking of games I don't play but like music of, XCOM 2: Tactical Legacy Pack OST is an awesome mix of old-game-style themes and modern arranging.

Also, classic Doom WAD soundtracks are pretty much their own genre.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 08:25:36 PM »
Also, classic Doom WAD soundtracks are pretty much their own genre.
True, should have mentioned them myself. Here's my favourite non-vanilla song.

Funbil

• Inspiration and love are the same feeling
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Steam
    • Linktree
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 08:47:56 PM »
EarthBound is one of my favorites as well. Probably my #1 of all time? A couple others I love are Ihatovo Monogatari, Wild Arms, L.O.L.: Lack of Love (R.I.P. Sakamoto-san), Okami, any of the Etrian Odyssey games, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Magic Knight Rayearth.... Uh, actually maybe I should stop there!! There's just so many great soundtracks. SNES and SEGA Saturn had the best music, I think.

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 11:58:41 PM »
You put Earthbound and Mother 1 but don't put Mother 3.
I've never really gone out of my way to listen to Mother 3's OST much, but from what I've heard from it it's really good.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 02:14:24 PM »
Like this piece here?
I like Louis Armstrong, even though "What A Wonderful World" makes me want to bash my head against the concrete and cry.
I like this one from Fallout 4.

I've never really gone out of my way to listen to Mother 3's OST much, but from what I've heard from it it's really good.

You should just play Mother 3(even though you have to emulate it. Nintendo please localize Mother 3). The best way to experience a games OST is by listening to it. "Because I Love You"(The final song in Earthbound when you go back home) doesn't hit as hard if you're listening to it from Spotify or any other music listening thing.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 11:36:26 AM »
Five game OSTs come to mind:
  • Minecraft
  • Summer Pockets
  • Doukutsu Monogatari / Cave Story (haven't finished that one yet)
  • Geometry Dash
  • Undertale