Author Topic: Why is this forum feels like a ghost town?  (Read 5921 times)

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
Why is this forum feels like a ghost town?
« on: August 28, 2023, 06:03:38 PM »
I just wanna talk with others...
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
Re: Why is this forum feels like a ghost town?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 04:58:45 AM »
Discord took over and made it so everyone discusses stuff out of sight in private communities.

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 05:03:46 AM »

Just log in and talk more and encourage others to do the same.

Discord has destroyed the modern web by pushing all communication to private and locked down spaces.

When Discord inevitably gets bought out or goes out of business in 20 years (never say never, it's a matter of when not if), all of that culture and communication will just vanish forever.

Here at least we have the well-funded Internet Archive (you should donate) to index and keep the discussion alive for posterity.

Forums, self-hosted wikis, and other non-chat spaces are so important, so be the change you want to see.

If you want a discussion topic, I'll ask how long you've been a fan and which game you started with.

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 09:54:22 AM »
Just log in and talk more and encourage others to do the same.

Discord has destroyed the modern web by pushing all communication to private and locked down spaces.

When Discord inevitably gets bought out or goes out of business in 20 years (never say never, it's a matter of when not if), all of that culture and communication will just vanish forever.

Here at least we have the well-funded Internet Archive (you should donate) to index and keep the discussion alive for posterity.

Forums, self-hosted wikis, and other non-chat spaces are so important, so be the change you want to see.

If you want a discussion topic, I'll ask how long you've been a fan and which game you started with.

I'll try my best.
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

cloudshift

• Genso overclocking
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 01:16:08 AM »
We aren't gone here and small forums everywhere are like this
but things could still change, at least it's alive
May the outdated lives

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 01:52:11 AM »
We aren't gone here and small forums everywhere are like this
but things could still change, at least it's alive
At least this forum isn't locked behind a paywall or has closed its door to new registrants.
With sites like discord and Reddit sweeping up all communities into one site it's always nice to see a moderately active forum board :)

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 03:22:16 AM »
Honestly I could hardly imagine a forum like this is still alive. There's too few active users and posts.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 01:14:55 PM »
...Someone's about to get eaten by Rumia

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 04:58:34 PM »
I see Discord mentioned a few times, but the funney thing is, we have a Discord with several hundred members and it's even quieter than the forum. The only exception being the Labyrinth of Touhou sub-community; these guys are clearly happy to have found a new place to discuss the game. But that's beside the point. I would encourage everyone to be active on Discord, try to start conversations and see what happens. Maybe if the Discord server becomes livelier, the newfound activity will overflow onto the forums.

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 10:17:18 PM »
It's kind of weird seeing this forum be so inactive with few posts everyday compared to the previous version of the site where it looked to have so much history and collaboration between fans. I'm just happy to be part of any small forum board as it's very rare to come by.

(Also yeah this place does remind me of a ghost town sometimes with how little new users actually register and how little posts there are.)

cloudshift

• Genso overclocking
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 12:15:51 AM »
At least this forum isn't locked behind a paywall or has closed its door to new registrants.
With sites like discord and Reddit sweeping up all communities into one site it's always nice to see a moderately active forum board :)
absolutely! within a absurdly phone-required web,I prefer the older web like this forum and also Touhou.
May the outdated lives