Author Topic: hi folks  (Read 8049 times)

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
  • nothing is ever off the record
    • andie.sophia
hi folks
« on: August 18, 2023, 01:33:48 AM »
if you post on this forum, know that i have appreciated it

if you felt ignored and unseen, know that i saw and felt grateful for your post

i feel like discord and social media have more or less replaced the glory of forumposting, and while that's the way of things, it does warm my heart to see folks still breathing life into this place

you are appreciated and valued

i hope you celebrated the 20th birthday of PCB in your own way

hugs,

ammy

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
Re: hi folks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 03:10:54 AM »
three cheers for forums that will outlast all the other spaces, and whose contents are indexable and searchable by posterity!

Happy 20th anniversary of PCB.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 11:15:36 AM »
Discord is great, but I enjoy forums too. Always have. They have less immediacy, but more permanence and that's important. This post will be easily accessible by people for years to come, while on Discord everything gets pushed back by today's hot topic.

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
    • andie.sophia
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 11:45:52 AM »
Discord is great, but I enjoy forums too. Always have. They have less immediacy, but more permanence and that's important. This post will be easily accessible by people for years to come, while on Discord everything gets pushed back by today's hot topic.

That's my feeling on it too. Like I'm in a dozen different servers and enjoy them all, no question, but I'll sometimes remember something from this place from years ago and I can actually go back and read it again, which is quite nice. Plus it's a nice way to talk with others. I don't even mind the dearth of new posts here (apart from in RPG, which will probably survive the heat death of the universe tbh) so long as they keep happening, at whatever pace they do

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

kurzov

• Stagnant yet Ever-Moving Editor
  • stuck on the "wrong side"
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • kurzov
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 12:00:03 PM »
I'd say something here but it's already been said.
I am glad to see people are still here on a regular basis.
PLEASE COME TO OUR GAMES
PLEASE JOIN MY FORUM QUEST: Kisume Quest

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 12:22:05 PM »
I drop by here every day. Would be nice if there was a surge of activity someday.

Kilgamayan

• False Administrator
  • The Real Treasure is You
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 02:22:05 PM »
o/
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> fire truck YEAH

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 08:55:01 PM »
Ditto. I check here everyday, I'm hoping to be more active at some point when I finish up some other projects.

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
    • andie.sophia
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 11:50:42 PM »
o/

:extend:

fun fact y'all: Kilga was the first person from this forum that i met IRL. spent an entire day at Otakon and we managed to bump into each other only when i was leaving lol

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 11:10:20 PM »
I've accepted that most of everyone has moved on, but part of my heart will always be with this forum. And given most the major social media platforms are on fire right now, I wouldn't count out forums as a medium just yet. I'm just glad I'm still in touch with so many people after all these years, and it still makes me happy to see old faces still coming around. I can't see myself leaving the site anytime soon.

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 07:47:23 AM »
I've accepted that most of everyone has moved on, but part of my heart will always be with this forum. And given most the major social media platforms are on fire right now, I wouldn't count out forums as a medium just yet. I'm just glad I'm still in touch with so many people after all these years, and it still makes me happy to see old faces still coming around. I can't see myself leaving the site anytime soon.

I feel like if more convenient login measures were offered people would be more active.

As part of the Reddit protests, the Minecraft modding group I'm part of (Violet Moon) shut down all our subreddits and started up a forum, but we made sure to offer Discord and GitHub-based logins, which has led to a good amount of people finding their way and talking on the new forum.

I'm not sure if phpBB has a plugin for it, I've looked around in the past but didn't find anything suitable. We used a different forum software (Flarum) for ours.

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
    • andie.sophia
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »

same. like, maybe this is a stretch, but consider the arc that streaming took.

the narrative was that streaming was to replace torrenting and filesharing, if not kill it off altogether. for a while, it looked like things were headed that way. but then subscription fees went up, ads were introduced, password sharing was discouraged and that's without getting into how they would kill a popular show after like one season, and the latest labor dispute. now i'm seeing more folks returning to torrents and filesharing.

i recognise that there are ethical issues involved when it comes to torrents; the main point here is that the Brave New Platforms--whether social media or streaming sites--are run by soulless, data-stealing corporations who want to fill your eyeballs with ads. some folks are ok with that. others will seek out alternatives, and some of those alternatives are tools that already exist and are able to do so because of a handful of people tending to a website out of pure love. and i think that's a beautiful thing.

Branneg Xy

• +EARTHLY MIRROR of + the TRINITESANCTISSIME+
  • HOLIEST AND SACRED FAMILY :JHS+M(ARY)+I(OSEPH)
    • Branneg Xy
    • Steam
    • (YOUTUBE by title;LINKEDIN by link) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiD63dZE4IvxDzRJ9NphWbw" FRA ALU BI Darcanix ")
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 07:11:37 PM »
  :points:

i feel like discord and social media have more or less replaced the glory of forumposting, and while that's the way of things, it does warm my heart to see folks still breathing life into this place

hugs,

ammy
Socisl Media Platforms, and a major example is Discord, are however at various degrees "(although no need in MoTK's Discord-> MotK-Sea of Tranquillity)tougher to clean out of spammers, bots, and worse, plus both (although less so than the Majority of Discord but still more than Forums) more dispersive and more over-active "
The modern situational constant change and change it is also"prompts,  signals-to-action" for new people-users /mostly so to be more enganged and active together with older /mostly so.

hugs,

ammy
Likewise, and thanks plus cheers for both your Opening Post and your Conclusive One! 
:star:
1.+This Real Photo "... and the WORD became Flesh", had been shoot by a Modern-Time Desert Father(Desertic Catholic Christian Community Monk+Ascetic) during THE HOLIEST CONSECRATION-MASS:The HOLIEST FAMILY of NAZARETH ALWAYS MYSTICALLY EVER-PRESENT and with ALSO THE CRISTCHILD BLESSING-https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm#section3 , in EVERY HOLIEST MASS-HOST CONSECRATION BY the Ordanied PRIEST(S).
2(++RECOMMENDED+++) https://adoration.tyburnconvent.org.uk -https://tyburnconvent.org.uk
3.Youtube Channel/half-collections/half-references :
" FRA ALU BI Darcanix "

Karisa

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Karisa109
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 08:53:26 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, when I volunteered to lead MotK mostly because it seemed no one else was willing to keep it going. Or if it was just sentimentality for a long-gone community.

Skimming the forum and seeing this? It's a nice reassuring feeling. In a way that's difficult to put to words.

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
Thanks for the compliment!  :extend:

I'll try to make posts here in this forum if I have any ideas/suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:51:02 AM by Sir Scaravich »
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

cloudshift

• Genso overclocking
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 01:25:53 AM »
greetings!
May the outdated lives

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »
I'm just glad a small, niche, Touhou forum is still somewhat active in these later years. I try to post whenever I can, to bring some life to it!  :extend:

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 02:46:56 AM »
Good day fellow maidens.

I haven't been posting as much as I want to recently. I took a nice walk today. I've been playing lots of Hisoutensoku recently so I can learn how to not suck at it. I hope you all have had a pleasant new year. My new years resolution is to try to actually make progress  on some projects of mine this year, cheers.

Funbil

• Inspiration and love are the same feeling
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Steam
    • Linktree
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 02:54:04 AM »
Good day fellow maidens.

I haven't been posting as much as I want to recently. I took a nice walk today. I've been playing lots of Hisoutensoku recently so I can learn how to not suck at it. I hope you all have had a pleasant new year. My new years resolution is to try to actually make progress  on some projects of mine this year, cheers.

Happy new year! I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself. I should probably be getting out more myself. I actually haven't set a resolution for this year, so maybe it could be that. What kinds of projects are you working on?

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2024, 04:22:12 PM »
I've been lurking here for a while but reading this thread has made me want to go ahead and make an account. It's really nice seeing so many people dedicated to this forum for so many years. I really hope that in the coming years more people come to help keep this forum alive.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 06:04:35 PM »
This forum is very interesting to me, considering that I first found out about this place nearly a decade ago.
I lurked in this forum back in the second iteration due to finding the works and the users very interesting. Between The Dreamer, the Actual Journalist, and The fairly well-known people I don't need to mention, it was a very interesting cast.
Then I realised that these were people and I could speak and interact with them. That's how my account came to be. I was also doing quests because I find this method of collaborative and interactive storytelling interesting, it helps with my writing and is a good emotional outlet.
Not to mention we can all agree that RPG is going to survive every eschatological event possible.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 08:50:58 PM »
Despite the relative lack of activity (there was an uptick recently, but it seems to have petered out), there's something that draws me to this forum and makes me check it out many times a day. It's magic.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 07:44:19 PM »
More like habit. Or hope. Not a bad thing either way.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 10:00:45 PM »
More like habit. Or hope. Not a bad thing either way.
Maybe it's more than habit. The place is ingrained in my mind, in both good and bad ways. Good, because things were fun when the gameplay subforum was active, and because Karisa is a great friend. Bad, because Shrinemaiden Cafe used to be very political, and I'd participate and clash with others often, and those events are still in my head because my mind is constantly focused on pointless introspection and reminiscence and associated anxiety. It's a curse.

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
    • andie.sophia
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 01:09:18 PM »
just swinging by to say hello once more because last night i dreamed a memory of this place and it made me feel warm inside so i just wanted to reiterate:

every single post you made here, and everything you did behind the scenes to keep the whole thing held together, matters so, so much to me.

thanks for keeping motk rolling along

caw caw!

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 03:45:23 PM »
Quack quack, fellow birb

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2024, 11:44:58 PM »
just swinging by to say hello once more because last night i dreamed a memory of this place and it made me feel warm inside so i just wanted to reiterate:

every single post you made here, and everything you did behind the scenes to keep the whole thing held together, matters so, so much to me.

thanks for keeping motk rolling along

caw caw!

How weird, I recently had a dream about this place. Didn't give me quite as much warm fuzzies and was more of a low feeling, so I felt inclined to poke my head in here as I tend to every year or so, just to see if I see any familiar names. Don't really remain in contact with anyone anymore as my reasons for ultimately leaving were kinda sad and I don't really know how to talk about it lol.

I do still think of the days this place was at its peak and I was a mod/admin. It was a special privilege to experience it all that way, even if it was more stressful than it was worth. Did a lot of growing as a person here-- or at least, some of the things I went through spurred me to do so.

(I was Matsuri, if anyone still remembers me.)

I definitely remember you, Ammy. You were always a mature voice of reason among us all.