Author Topic: Reddit Killing off 3rd Party Apps  (Read 5859 times)

Reddit Killing off 3rd Party Apps
« on: June 10, 2023, 01:04:22 AM »
Anyone use 3rd party apps for Reddit? I use RIF. For those who don't know, Reddit is charging the 3rd party apps for using their API. The prices aren't feasible for the 3rd party devs, so all the 3rd party apps plan to shut down, which has caused a lot of subreddits to plan a blackout in protest.

One reason I thought it might be interesting for here is because the Touhou subreddit was debating if they wanted to join in and this place was recommended as an alternative in one of the posts. In the event they do it, we could look at getting a few new people here.

Re: Reddit Killing off 3rd Party Apps
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 12:09:05 PM »
I don't use third-party apps, just Old Reddit. Even on my phone, since I prefer doing most of my stuff on the browser, and I find moderation to be easier there than the official mobile web version.

Btw I was the one who suggested MotK in the poll post :)

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 12:01:37 AM »
Makes sense. Moderation is part of the reason this is such a big deal. A big chunk of people think they're going to come for old reddit too.

A lot of people think the subreddits shot themselves in the foot by limiting this to 48 hours. Personally, I disagree. The impact that this is show seems like a pretty good warning shot, and a lot of subreddits are moderated by relatively small group of people so it would not surprise me if they could do this again. Imagine if this happened the moment Reddit IPOed. It could also encourage a lot of other subreddits who previously thought their contribution would be too small to notice. Could also be wrong, but I was surprised that the blackout mattered to begin with, so I watching with interest.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 06:25:56 AM »
I also agree that the strike should've gone for longer. 48 hours is just too little. Maybe I should've suggested another poll in our modteam's discord days before the closing in June 12... :cirnotan:

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 01:47:39 AM »
Looking back at the Reddit protests 5 months later it's sad to see how much control the public has lost when in relation to big internet companies. When you want something changed, you have to make a big deal about it for the company to notice.
In YouTube at points, calling YouTube out on Twitter was a more effective way of handling demonitisation problems then the actual report system itself. I bet no one at YouTube headquarters actually read the complaint reports sent to them.
At this point the only thing that keeps them in check are world governments and even then they still can't always keep a leash on them.

But there's always slivers of hope like the Minecraft wiki migrating from Fandom due to it's horrible barrage of ads and unecessary content and Baldur's Gate 3's community deciding to just not use fandom in the first place (with a few exceptions) and have their own site.

I hope the Reddit protests have been a wake up call to people, especially younger generations that big media doesn't care about you. Simple as that. It's unlikely big media companies would shut down anytime soon seeing that we are entering a new phase of the internet, but I don't mind, just as long as I can enjoy silly cute Touhou girls and videogames.

But... if Reddit somehow were to get shut down, we'll probably recieve more MoTK members, so I'm fine either way.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 09:42:12 AM »
But... if Reddit somehow were to get shut down, we'll probably recieve more MoTK members, so I'm fine either way.
I agree on getting new members, I just hope they'll be able to adjust to the chill atmosphere of this forum and not turn it into r/touhou v2. I remember reading a tread on VNDB and someone said something that has stuck with me: "When Twitter dies all communities will experience mass migration and some might not be able to adjust to the storm". I think the same applies to Reddit and I'm worried about what will happen here since a lot of people on the subreddit hate Moriya Shrine so this forum will probably be the next option for them.

Readydaer

• I like games
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 05:09:31 PM »
in my experience most old-school forums like this are very chill. Anyone who's spent a lot of time on the internet should know how they operate. Then again, many touhou fans or fans of media in general are younger
scared of jelly donuts

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 04:39:35 AM »
I agree on getting new members, I just hope they'll be able to adjust to the chill atmosphere of this forum and not turn it into r/touhou v2. I remember reading a tread on VNDB and someone said something that has stuck with me: "When Twitter dies all communities will experience mass migration and some might not be able to adjust to the storm". I think the same applies to Reddit and I'm worried about what will happen here since a lot of people on the subreddit hate Moriya Shrine so this forum will probably be the next option for them.
I feel if Twitter/X were to die then most of their users would migrate to other mainstream social media alternatives like Facebook, Instagram or the new kid around the block, Threads. Most Twitter/X activity is more based on individual users rather than communities so I don't think many Twitter/X users would go to forum based communities.

Reddit on the other hand, doesn't really have mainstream alternative to it so if it were to die then we could experience some migration, Reddit has a more competitive environment to it, with people trying to make posts in order to get more upvotes and karma rather than for having real conversations. I doubt that Reddit will die anytime soon, but if it does, then you're right, we'll have to brace ourselves for a storm.

in my experience most old-school forums like this are very chill. Anyone who's spent a lot of time on the internet should know how they operate. Then again, many touhou fans or fans of media in general are younger

Forums are easy to use, all the options above for special text might scare
some newcomers but you rarely have to use them in actual conversations. Like what Jankop said, my main concern is with attitude rather than technical difficulties

Also, did anyone see the new Reddit logo?
It looks so......bland and weird, it makes Reddit look like a kid's messaging app in my opinion.