Author Topic: 東方不要戦 ~ Fortuitous Strife in Arcane Land  (Read 14308 times)

KousakuP

• Game dev, music producer and artist.
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kousaku-P #0219
東方不要戦 ~ Fortuitous Strife in Arcane Land
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:13:43 PM »
東方不要戦 ~ Fortuitous Strife in Arcane Land
A Touhou fangame that tries to be faithful to the old works, but with a little touch of Seihou into the mix!

Development Team: Entertainment Creators
Game Director: Kousaku-P
Programming: Kousaku-P, renex, MSK
Art: Kousaku-P, KamiJoJo, greenscarf, Yuutou
Original Character Design: Kousaku-P, Hiroshi, Green Kasugano
Music: Kousaku-P, ShinkoNetCavy, JLippe
Beta Testing: ProtoCloud, Hiroshi, Vladmirson, Jlippe, China, Yoll Yeskoi, Natsu, Daglom, yeashie, Adam
Translation: Adam, greenscarf

Official Characters and Intellectual Properties: Team Shanghai Alice, Shunsatsu Sare Do?

About the Project
Touhou Fuyousen ~ Fortuitous Strife in Arcane Land is a project that was born from a "what if" scenario that tries to link the PC-98 canon to the Windows canon in a way that would make sense chronologically. Think of it as a road that connects Mystic Square and Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, with Shuusou Gyoku and Kioh Gyoku in the middle of the path.
The game features both Reimu and Marisa as playable characters, going through 6 stages + an extra, and is mostly committed to PC-98 aesthetics, which is rare for Touhou fangames. (I say mostly because the game does take advantage of being on Windows to pull off effects such as sprite rotation, sprite scaling, alpha transparency and 3D backgrounds, yes!!)
All the art and music try to replicate the old works' style as closely as possible, however, the design of the game itself is going to be much closer to Seihou Project (and even CAVE), so it's going to be much more difficult compared to the PC-98 games.

Releases
The project was first featured at SAGE 2019, with a single stage demo featuring both Reimu and Marisa as bosses. It shows the game in its earliest state, still not featuring the game's main gimmick and having a very simple UI. Difficulty settings are disabled, meaning the player can only play on Normal Mode. The build also doesn't feature any player data menu and both characters share the same highscore board. This is all obviously temporary, as it was just a proof-of-concept demo.
Download Link: https://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/touhou-fortuitous-strife-in-arcane-land.362/

A Trial version will be released this year on August 21, at SAGE 2021. Please look forward to it!

Help Wanted!
The Entertainment Creators team is looking for volunteers to help with our project!
We currently need:
- An English to Japanese translator
- Someone who is familiar with the PC-98 games or the Seihou Project games to help us design danmaku patterns

Contact me if you're interested in joining our team!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:04:45 AM by KousakuP »
Bored, going to bed

latiasred

Re: 東方不要戦 ~ Fortuitous Strife in Arcane Land
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:14:40 AM »
Oh, this game! I had wandered onto its OST uploads by chance the other day, and then i saw that it was supposedly a game. However, when I checked the video for the game, it marked the game as cancelled, and I had figured that it was just another tragic failed one-off PC-98 style fangame.

Randomly logging onto MoTK today and seeing this was a pretty pleasant surprise, though. As far as I know, it's been over twenty years and we still don't have any actual PC-98-esque fangames games because one thing or another keeps on killing them. If this is set to have a demo on August 21st, that gives me hope. If it involves Seihou aspects too, could it double up as a Seihou fangame? (another thing we don't have for whatever reason)

I wonder a few things about this game, by the way. For one, what happened that this game had a video saying it was cancelled? Did the game just come back later? And how was this game developed? (like the engine it runs on. I'm very curious about that.) And also, has this team done anything in the past? I don't recognize any of the names.

Now, I personally don't think I have anything to contribute to this. Regarding English-to-Japanese translators, I know a few people but I think you'll really have to pique their interest to get them to do the translating work (shouldn't be too hard, given how impressive this short demo is so far). Regarding people who understand the design behind the danmaku in the PC-98 games and Seihou, I think I'd recommend to you WishMakers. He's a moderator on this board.

I do know some ways to get this project some exposure, though. MoTK is rather inactive these days, and I'm not sure how many people you'll reach if you keep your connections limited to here. I suggest the following Discord servers for the team to join...

>Fanworks 'n Chill: This is a server of avid Touhou fangame enjoyers. It has over a thousand members, and I think you'll be able to reach out better there than here. There are a few English-to-Japanese translators that might get on board if you show them what you've got. (https://discord.gg/QDZJYpmXEK)

>Bullet Hell Engines: This is a server with a focus on the development of bullet hell fangames. We love seeing new fangames come to fruition. We have around four hundred members, so I think this would be a good place to reach out to as well. (https://discord.gg/4wNvvPHxeU)

All in all, I'm really looking forward to this game. It's the only PC-98 styled game I know about that's in development, all the other ones I know about are dead. Good luck with this.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:20:26 AM by Luminous_DNH »

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 02:36:50 AM »
This is really cool. We do need more PC-98 styled fangames out there. I remember thinking this was cancelled, so it's great to see that not only is it not cancelled but we're also getting a demo at SAGE this year.

If you're looking for someone to translate from English to Japanese I could point you towards Gilde. They're responsible for several other Japanese translations of Western fangames, including Glory of Deep Skies, Unification of the Artful Rain, and Servants of Harvest Wish among others. You can find them on Twitter at @stellarcanopy

Like Lumi said above me this forum is sadly kind of dead nowadays. I'd recommend promoting your game on the Discord servers she mentioned. In addition, try to distribute the demo at places other than SAGE. Most people in the Touhou fangame community don't really expect to find any at SAGE, and the release will likely be overshadowed by other, more popular fan projects such as Sonic Legends.

Good luck on this project, I truly hope it goes well.

Hazama Yuutou

• Infinity Dreamer
  • she fibro my algia til i fall down the stairs
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 04:47:54 AM »
Hi! I know it's not said or specified in the listings, but if you guys ever need help in the artwork aspect of things, I can extend my hand. I can certainly be a backup artist.
I specifically do portrait artwork for the style, but I can also do other things if needed. Here's some of the recent work I've done:

I can also do fullbodies, but for the sake of not clogging my post with images, I'll have these be hyperlinks instead.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368176816147660802/827765239177150464/Yukari_fullbody.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368176816147660802/827765352490467358/Suika_Ibuki.png

If you don't need the extra art help, that's ok! I do hope you guys get what you need, I've been seriously looking forward to your fangame.  :heart:
the ride doesnt stop and i cant get off

KousakuP

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kousaku-P #0219
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »
Oh, this game! I had wandered onto its OST uploads by chance the other day, and then i saw that it was supposedly a game. However, when I checked the video for the game, it marked the game as cancelled, and I had figured that it was just another tragic failed one-off PC-98 style fangame.

Randomly logging onto MoTK today and seeing this was a pretty pleasant surprise, though. As far as I know, it's been over twenty years and we still don't have any actual PC-98-esque fangames games because one thing or another keeps on killing them. If this is set to have a demo on August 21st, that gives me hope. If it involves Seihou aspects too, could it double up as a Seihou fangame? (another thing we don't have for whatever reason)

I wonder a few things about this game, by the way. For one, what happened that this game had a video saying it was cancelled? Did the game just come back later? And how was this game developed? (like the engine it runs on. I'm very curious about that.) And also, has this team done anything in the past? I don't recognize any of the names.

Now, I personally don't think I have anything to contribute to this. Regarding English-to-Japanese translators, I know a few people but I think you'll really have to pique their interest to get them to do the translating work (shouldn't be too hard, given how impressive this short demo is so far). Regarding people who understand the design behind the danmaku in the PC-98 games and Seihou, I think I'd recommend to you WishMakers. He's a moderator on this board.

I do know some ways to get this project some exposure, though. MoTK is rather inactive these days, and I'm not sure how many people you'll reach if you keep your connections limited to here. I suggest the following Discord servers for the team to join...

>Fanworks 'n Chill: This is a server of avid Touhou fangame enjoyers. It has over a thousand members, and I think you'll be able to reach out better there than here. There are a few English-to-Japanese translators that might get on board if you show them what you've got. (https://discord.gg/QDZJYpmXEK)

>Bullet Hell Engines: This is a server with a focus on the development of bullet hell fangames. We love seeing new fangames come to fruition. We have around four hundred members, so I think this would be a good place to reach out to as well. (https://discord.gg/4wNvvPHxeU)

All in all, I'm really looking forward to this game. It's the only PC-98 styled game I know about that's in development, all the other ones I know about are dead. Good luck with this.

Thank you for the reply!

Although we managed to successfully release a demo on SAGE 2019, we had a lot of issues with the project, from too many people who didn't do much and lack of direction to some internal conflict between members. I don't really wanna go into details, but it pretty much created a very tense environment for the team and it lead to the project's temporary cancellation. However, I've managed to successfully rebuild a smaller team of dedicated members to revive the project and we finally have a vision we can follow to get the project finally going forward!

The engine I'm using for this project is one I've made in Game Maker Studio, with the help of MSK and renex. Most of the people in the team are personal friends of mine, who have shown interest in the project and decided to voluntarily contribute to it. Some of them have done things in the past, like ShinkoNet and JLippe are pretty known for making Touhou remixes and arranges on YouTube, renex and Natsu have worked on I Wanna Be The Guy Remastered and MSK has helped me make a really solid parody fangame of EoSD a couple of years ago. I can safely say the project is in good hands now!

The project could theoretically be classified as a Seihou fangame in a way, as it acts as sort of a sequel to Shuusou Gyoku and Kioh Gyoku, but it's more like it's trying to combine both Seihou and Touhou canons into one. It's a real shame that Seihou doesn't get that much attention, but maybe that's due to Ponchi having stopped making Seihou games and only releasing VIVIT-99 as an April fools joke.

Thank you for also recommending me those discord servers, I really appreciate any help that could push the project into getting more exposure! I hope you keep looking forward to this project in the future!  :note:
Bored, going to bed

KousakuP

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kousaku-P #0219
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:32:24 PM »
Hi! I know it's not said or specified in the listings, but if you guys ever need help in the artwork aspect of things, I can extend my hand. I can certainly be a backup artist.
I specifically do portrait artwork for the style, but I can also do other things if needed. Here's some of the recent work I've done:

I can also do fullbodies, but for the sake of not clogging my post with images, I'll have these be hyperlinks instead.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368176816147660802/827765239177150464/Yukari_fullbody.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368176816147660802/827765352490467358/Suika_Ibuki.png

If you don't need the extra art help, that's ok! I do hope you guys get what you need, I've been seriously looking forward to your fangame.  :heart:

Oh!!! I have seen your work on twitter before!
Your take on ZUN's style is pretty great and I'd definitely welcome you on the team! It'd be a huge help in the development process, since I've been doing all of the ZUN styled art in the game by myself, so I'd really appreciate that!
Thank you so much for reaching out! Feel free to send me a DM on Twitter or on Discord if you wanna join! (tags are in my MoTK profile) :heart:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:35:26 PM by KousakuP »
Bored, going to bed

KousakuP

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kousaku-P #0219
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »
This is really cool. We do need more PC-98 styled fangames out there. I remember thinking this was cancelled, so it's great to see that not only is it not cancelled but we're also getting a demo at SAGE this year.

If you're looking for someone to translate from English to Japanese I could point you towards Gilde. They're responsible for several other Japanese translations of Western fangames, including Glory of Deep Skies, Unification of the Artful Rain, and Servants of Harvest Wish among others. You can find them on Twitter at @stellarcanopy

Like Lumi said above me this forum is sadly kind of dead nowadays. I'd recommend promoting your game on the Discord servers she mentioned. In addition, try to distribute the demo at places other than SAGE. Most people in the Touhou fangame community don't really expect to find any at SAGE, and the release will likely be overshadowed by other, more popular fan projects such as Sonic Legends.

Good luck on this project, I truly hope it goes well.

Thank you for the reply!
The project has been revived early this year and we're doing our best to release a trial version of the game and finally bring it back to life.
Thank you for also suggesting me a translator for the project! I'll also be doing my best to promote the game in more places to get the project more attention. The advantage of publishing it in SAGE is that it is a big event that gives a lot of exposure to indie projects aside from Sonic, but it's kind of a gamble, so publishing it in other places is definitely something I should be doing. :sweat:
Bored, going to bed

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • Console.WriteLine("h*ck");
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
    • Analogue Reverie Website
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 02:41:52 AM »
Oh man, I wish I wasn't so late to seeing this.
I'm really looking forward to this.  SAGE 2021 is definitely something I'll be keeping my eyes on this year  :notes:
Also known as the Return of Eastern Wonderland and Danmakufu Woo Edition guy.

1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (H), PCB (N), IN (H), PoFV (N, all shots), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (L), WBaWC (N)
Extra 1ccs: All Windows mainline games, including PoFV.
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b)

AngryEclectus

• The '24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week' Library
  • Taking it easy
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
Woah, this is interesting and unique!

I'll be sure to check out this 'SAGE' thing!

(First time posting, by the way!)
"Rat poison, rat poison..."

(ᗜˬᗜ)

Goomba98

• The Kinda Chestnut-Looking Guy
  • In the process of getting a new lease on life.
    • TheGoomba98#9202
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
Sorry if this sounds naggy, but I've noticed it's past August 21, the time when SAGE 2021 supposedly happened, and you haven't updated this thread, and a cursory look at your uploads on SFGHQ doesn't seem to have revealed anything new either. Did you forget about this project?