Author Topic: What Touhou game that have a dark atmosphere?  (Read 2267 times)

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
What Touhou game that have a dark atmosphere?
« on: December 29, 2023, 09:47:30 AM »
It could be a plot, or it could be a vibe from the games (even though the plot isn't dark) that gives off this very grim feeling. And excluding Touhou LoLK, what Touhou game do you think is dark?
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
Re: What Touhou game that have a dark atmosphere?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:26:01 AM »
It could be a plot, or it could be a vibe from the games (even though the plot isn't dark) that gives off this very grim feeling. And excluding Touhou LoLK, what Touhou game do you think is dark?
I'd go with PCB or SA personally, their later and extra stages certainly give off that kind of vibe.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:38:17 PM »
UFO, due to bad endings having heroines stranded in a hostile world instead of going back home and preparing to try again.

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 03:41:19 PM »
UFO, due to bad endings having heroines stranded in a hostile world instead of going back home and preparing to try again.

Damn bro... Well, that sucks hard for them. (Also, thanks for the spoilers bro. >:[ )

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 03:46:39 PM »
Well for me, it's Touhou 1 ~ Highly Responsive to Prayer. I didn't form that opinion by myself though, but instead I got this from TV Tropes article about Touhou's Nightmare Fuel.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 06:20:42 PM »
(Also, thanks for the spoilers bro. >:[ )

That's just a general detail, not spoilers. Each character/shottype deals with a different problem in their bad endings. I'll just say that one of them made me absolutely hate Byakuren.

That said, while those endings are probably the most interesting bad endings in the seires, ironically they're the hardest to actually get. Unless you're good enough to do a 1cc and use a continue on stage 1 on purpose.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 08:06:21 PM »
Well for me, it's Touhou 1 ~ Highly Responsive to Prayer. I didn't form that opinion by myself though, but instead I got this from TV Tropes article about Touhou's Nightmare Fuel.

Touhou 1 has one of the darkest atmospheres and it's lack of a story in-game really makes your imagination run wild with what is actually happening.

But if you read the manual, it becomes less scary and dark when you realize the story is just that some youkai destroyed Reimu's shrine so she decided to go to Hell/Makai in order to commit mass youkai genocide extermination (which reminds me a lot of the DOOM classic story).