Author Topic: [Art] Custom Danmakufu Sprites+Graphics by Felis-Licht  (Read 22540 times)

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
[Art] Custom Danmakufu Sprites+Graphics by Felis-Licht
« on: February 20, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »
Recreation of my old art thread from the old forum. Was thinking about putting it in RaNGE but I think it's better suited for here.

I like trying to make ZUN-like sprites and graphics for fun and to experiment with animation in GIMP in my spare time. I can do:
  • Player, Boss and Enemy Sprites
  • Bullets
  • Layouts/HUDs
  • Jewel cases
* I am working on expanding my repertoire in other areas as well so this list may update.

Any and all of these are free for anyone to use, be it your small little scripts or even full fan games; all I request in return is that you contact me first to let me know and credit me somewhere for them as "Felis-Licht". If there's an issue with any of the sprites please let me know and I'll fix it asap. These are for non-commercial use only.

!--NOTICE!--!
* At the moment, I am not taking free requests due to real life priorities.
* MotK isn't the only place to contact me about my sprites, there's DeviantArt, Twitter, Discord (FelisLichtCommissions#1555), and Tumblr for those who don't have an account on here. Feel free to contact me with those if you want.

If I update a sheet, I'll make a post and mark it as such in the OP here.

Next WIP: Ritsuka from Nansei Project

Completed Sheets
Spoiler:
Nansei Project Custom Hitbox (NEW)

Miko Kokunai from Nansei Project

Red Version (NEW)

Miko's other spellcard, "Lunar Incense"

Red Version (NEW)

Sanae

Reimu

Marisa

Marisa's Master Spark

Orin (no shots)

Cat!Orin (no shots)

Bosses, Enemies and Bullets:
Spoiler:
Earth Spirits

My custom bullets (incomplete atm, will update periodically) (UPDATED)

Other Graphics:
Jewel Cases
https://www.deviantart.com/felis-licht/art/Touhou-Ethereal-Nightmare-Jewel-Case-775850371 - Ethereal Nightmare (original fan idea of mine)
Layouts/HUDs
Nansei Project Layout Set (currently being revised; coming soon...)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 03:11:43 AM by Felis-Licht »

Python

• Σ = {a, b} L = {w ∈ Σ* | |w| = 2}
  • aa / ba / bb / ab
    • YouTube
    • Python#9486
    • Steam
Re: [Art] Custom Danmakufu Sprites+Graphics by Felis-Licht
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »
Those player sprites look REALLY great!! In all honesty I haven't previously come across such high-quality player sprites, with some rare exceptions such as DD's creations. Admittedly, cat-Rin looks a little bit strange, almost as if she's...wearing a fur suit, as opposed to being a real cat. Unfortunately I cannot provide any suggestions on how to improve that particular sprite. All of the other player sprites, as well as the Earth Spirit look very nice. As for the enemy shot graphics, I believe both, the knife shots below the arrows, and the straight lasers at the very top would do well with more white to them, and thinner colored borders. It would make them easier to see against colored backgrounds in-game.

It's a bit of a bummer that you're currently not open for requests or commissions, though certainly understandable. If, one day, you do open commissions, I'd be more than happy to borrow your services if you allow me to! I've been pondering the idea of creating a fully-fledged Touhou fangame as of lately, and a sprite artist of your capability is someone I'm desperately looking for. No rush though, these are just thoughts for now. I'd be honored if you would consider me as a possible business partner.  :)

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »
Those player sprites look REALLY great!! In all honesty I haven't previously come across such high-quality player sprites, with some rare exceptions such as DD's creations. Admittedly, cat-Rin looks a little bit strange, almost as if she's...wearing a fur suit, as opposed to being a real cat. Unfortunately I cannot provide any suggestions on how to improve that particular sprite. All of the other player sprites, as well as the Earth Spirit look very nice. As for the enemy shot graphics, I believe both, the knife shots below the arrows, and the straight lasers at the very top would do well with more white to them, and thinner colored borders. It would make them easier to see against colored backgrounds in-game.

It's a bit of a bummer that you're currently not open for requests or commissions, though certainly understandable. If, one day, you do open commissions, I'd be more than happy to borrow your services if you allow me to! I've been pondering the idea of creating a fully-fledged Touhou fangame as of lately, and a sprite artist of your capability is someone I'm desperately looking for. No rush though, these are just thoughts for now. I'd be honored if you would consider me as a possible business partner.  :)

I think I see what you mean with Cat!Orin since looking at it now, I didn't really change too much of the head size compared to the body and it's more of an oval rather than an organic shape. I might look into fixing that, but I don't personally see it as looking too off imo

Those "knives" below the arrows are actually swords ^^; the real knives are the ones below the first set of stars (though they look more like daggers):

Quick edit cuz it's pretty simple Might this look a little better?

Oh I wouldn't mind at all :) I'd just have to find the right amount of time and prices to do em' (I imagine they'd be pretty cheap), along with making other stuff to give an idea of what to expect.

Python

• Σ = {a, b} L = {w ∈ Σ* | |w| = 2}
  • aa / ba / bb / ab
    • YouTube
    • Python#9486
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »
Oh, your knives looked so tiny I wouldn't have guessed that's what they were supposed to be. Their curved shape is more reminisicent of the PCB sword bullets used predominantly by Youmu and Yuyuko, if anything. And yes, this is a significant improvement over the first version!

SilSinn9801

• Chiptune musician in PMD98
  • I will remain silent on that question.
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • SilSinn9801#0413
    • Steam
    • My musician profile on CD Baby
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
Felis-Licht, have you once considered doing PC-98-type (or at least PC-98-stylish) field sprites?

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
Oh, your knives looked so tiny I wouldn't have guessed that's what they were supposed to be. Their curved shape is more reminisicent of the PCB sword bullets used predominantly by Youmu and Yuyuko, if anything. And yes, this is a significant improvement over the first version!
They're actually modeled after those ones funnily enough.

Felis-Licht, have you once considered doing PC-98-type (or at least PC-98-stylish) field sprites?
I haven't unfortunately.

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:06:42 AM »
Some progress on Miko's sprites, mainly the shots:

This is a mock up, but can be customized to whatever suits you 8)
Reference is from someone else's concept of her shots that I'm modeling mine off of with some differences. Also a custom hitbox sprite~

EDIT: Miko Kokunai is finally complete! :'D Included on her sheet in the OP are sprites for two shot options:

Miko A: Kunai Knife (Spell Presentation: Purple Stone)
Miko B: Needle Rain (Spell Presentation: Lunar Incense)

Per how Nansei Project is, there's no correct way to present the spells so anyone is free to customize it in any way they wish (also applies to my sprites in general) :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:48:28 AM by Felis-Licht »

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
A small update, mainly for the Nansei sprites: I forgot to include the hitbox!

I also made a palette variant of Miko Kokunai and her bombs based on an unused design of hers, perfect for a phantasmagoria-like script:
Spoiler:

I unfortunately hadn't had much time to work on the others as I've been busy with RL and got (non-sprite) commissions to do. But once I find the time I'll get back on it.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 06:28:51 PM »
Your sprites are really good! I PM'd you.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:36:32 PM by Barranco »

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 06:44:56 AM »
Update: added some more custom bullets and did some slight revisions to my sheet in the OP~

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 05:22:19 AM »
Still busy, but I'm close to completing Ritsuka and her shot sheet. Here's a mock up preview of some sprites of one of her spells, Sunflower Roots:
Spoiler:

EDIT: Should also add that after Ritsuka, I might open up a slot for a commission. Not really sure on prices, but someone brought up to me the idea of exchanging things (such as art or scripts). Not to sure on that though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:24:42 PM by Felis-Licht »

Reimu6

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »
cool! I wish I could buy you a coffee, but i dont' have money. sadge lol. good work!