Author Topic: Shin Touhou Musou English Translation  (Read 10282 times)

Shin Touhou Musou English Translation
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:40:06 AM »
Hi,
Shin Touhou Musou is an old school action adventure game where you have to beat up ennemies without warning.

It does not have much of a story, but since I like the game I figured some translations for descriptions and weapons (with help from HakanaiBlue on the weapon search) would be fun to do.

This is a patch I've worked on for a few weeks, so it's very amateurish since I'm also trying to learn Japanese.
Only descriptions have been modified, all menus and buttons aren't translated.
Translation patch
Instruction is in the notes.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 08:10:02 AM by PigeonVoyageur »

Re: Shin Touhou Musou English Translation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 12:43:28 AM »
played it for a bit, very fun, youmu is hard to use until you get better cards, i think the copy i got is broken considering i didn't have backgrounds + i couldn't see enviromental obstacles. good translation job, in the character selection screen the words do go outside of view however

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
played it for a bit, very fun, youmu is hard to use until you get better cards, i think the copy i got is broken considering i didn't have backgrounds + i couldn't see enviromental obstacles. good translation job, in the character selection screen the words do go outside of view however

it's possible that the game still needs to be run in japanese locale even with the translation. i've had similar issues happen in other japanese games as a result of this

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:06:03 PM »
it's possible that the game still needs to be run in japanese locale even with the translation. i've had similar issues happen in other japanese games as a result of this

i've no idea how to do that, i looked into it, maybe it's due to having windows 10 instead of 7, but somehow i just don't think that's it, what does seem to be is that i'm lacking the actual files for the game, only got backgrounds 7, 9, and 11.

there's also a chipset folder with a bunch of material that i assume is for the stages, but i don't want to fire truck with it just yet.

i'll try to kill Erin and get to stage 7 to see if that's the issue.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
in the character selection screen the words do go outside of view however

I had to cut down many spellcard names, mostly Youmu's because they would have gone way out the game's window frame size.

My main objective was to avoid characters to be jumbled together when they are selected on the primary side.
So it was okay if they went slightly overboard, as long as you could recognize each spellcard name references, which for Youmu was the most complicated one to go through.

Since the second box of spellcards starts on the same pixel, it shouldn't be difficult to recover the names.
Also, because you only switch one spell at a time, you can go back and forth in case of confusion.

Only 2-3 of them go to very extreme length, but they are usually final spells that aren't common to unlock.
While looking again, it's still readable even with the background, I don't think I can change the size of those windows though.

Stage description could have also worked the same, but I felt keeping Scarlet Devil Mansion as a whole should not be an issue if it's just the name.

Another big issue is that I had to use japanese spacing instead of standard ones, those spacing are wider than what we usually see like in our posts. But using western standard one would just skip a whole section each time it is used.

To use Japanese local you can go in the language bar in the Windows configuration panel to set it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:37:30 AM by PigeonVoyageur »

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
Worked like a charm, wonder why it needs the local change.

It's also pretty neat to know the thoughts and translation struggles that happen, maybe Youmu is a real chunni.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:31:38 PM »
Worked like a charm, wonder why it needs the local change.

It's also pretty neat to know the thoughts and translation struggles that happen, maybe Youmu is a real chunni.

Well... here's the comparison between the cut (left), the original spell name that HakanaiBlue had found (center), and the maxed length I authorized myself to have (right).
I also did not take into account the display for the unlocks, so there might still be jumbled spell names in them if you get more than 1 column of spell unlocks.

This is only Youmu, which required the most cuts to fit overall.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:36:23 PM by PigeonVoyageur »

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:28:30 AM »
no kidding, with things like "Sudden Phantom Formation Slash of Karmic Cut" it makes sense why Youmu was a pain, as a bonus, cirno's spell Frost Column is called Forst Column in game, only just noticed it.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »
no kidding, with things like "Sudden Phantom Formation Slash of Karmic Cut" it makes sense why Youmu was a pain, as a bonus, cirno's spell Frost Column is called Forst Column in game, only just noticed it.

Fixed in the new link