Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 19F  (Read 200048 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 19F
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »
No. Some text will just overflow, still. Although when I tried it in Wine, the font did look a bit weirder than Windows, but it was still playable, I guess.

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:43 AM »
Having difficulty getting the text to display right in Wine. I downloaded that meiryo font and put it in c:\windows\fonts, but it's still using a font that's too wide for the text box. Did I miss a step?

have you tried putting it in the "~/.fonts" folder and then running fc-cache? i think wine reads from there too

VIVIT

• Cactus-powered autonomous domestic appliance
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
No. Some text will just overflow, still. Although when I tried it in Wine, the font did look a bit weirder than Windows, but it was still playable, I guess.
The issue is that I cannot get the font to change. It is still the same small-enough-to-be-hard-to-read-but-wide-enough-to-overflow monospace typeface.
have you tried putting it in the "~/.fonts" folder and then running fc-cache? i think wine reads from there too
Yes. I've also tried putting it in the system-wide font directories. But again, no change.

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2020, 06:23:13 PM »
Are you talking about Labyrinth 1 or 2? Because 2 should have a readable font by default

1 also has a better font than default, but only worked for me when I launched the exe in japanese locale using locale emulator, no idea if wine has an option for this

VIVIT

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2020, 02:02:12 AM »
Labyrinth 2. By default it had rectangles. After installing some fonts, it had this too-wide-but-still-too-small monospace type.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
For whatever it's worth, I had a very similar problems with LoT 2 at first. Running it normally would present a font that appears to match the one in your screenshot; it actually cuts off both horizontally and vertically. Running it with Japanese locale (I'm using a separate piece of software here, for reasons I can't remember anymore) produces a font that still sometimes cuts off half a letter on the right, but is otherwise perfectly functional and readable. I'm a "proud" Windows user though, so no idea if this is feasible in Wine.

VIVIT

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »
Aaaand that would be it. A locale issue. It turns out that HerbalNekoTea's shift-JIS locale files (which I mentioned in my own thread about running Seihou in wine) were the missing link in this case.

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2020, 04:54:33 AM »
Might you be able to link us to that thread? I can't find it on search and I'm interested in playing this game under Linux too

VIVIT

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:18 AM »
Here's the thread, and here's the relevant link from that thread. That page explains matters. Apparently it's a huge breakthrough for playing visual novels on Linux, too.

VIVIT

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
Another question. Is there a way to make the game display bigger? If I try to maximize the window, the display stays the same size in the corner and the rest of the window is all black.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Resizing by dragging the edge of the window works fine for me...

« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
Labyrinth 1 can't be resized by normal means but has a very buggy fullscreen mode, 2 can be scaled drawing the edges of the window but that will butcher the pixel fidelity, so i dont like using it.

VIVIT

« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »
not for me lol

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2020, 11:36:12 PM »
On Windows you can sort of force a fullscreen mode using third party software, but again, no idea if this can be done with Wine.

Then again your screenshot looks perfect, why attempt to improve perfection?

VIVIT

« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2020, 01:13:28 AM »
Because that resolution is tiny on my monitor.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2020, 02:05:40 AM »
Because that resolution is tiny on my monitor.
I know, I was just kidding about the second screenshot! It's broken but beautiful.

Is the program I linked a viable option?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:09:51 AM by nav »

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2020, 02:48:13 AM »
Easiest solution I can think off is changing resolution of the screen to something smaller, so the small screen will fill more, but it will look awful.

Either that or using a windows system and try it there, the windows resize drag works perfectly on windows but the pixels will be a bit blurry, and that annoys me a bit, dual boot should be an option if you know how to set it up

FantasyJared

• The Amber Battlefield where the Lights of Lives Collide
  • Weeb, dungeon-crawler, and fan of niche games.
    • YouTube
    • FantasyJared#1783
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2021, 06:08:10 AM »
Finally got around to making an account! Huge fan of this game, glad to see that the fanbase is still alive after so many years. Bit of background; I got into this game after a good friend of mine introduced me to it last August. I have roughly ~255 or so hours in the game between my PC and Switch profiles and am currently at B4F of Plus Disk.

One thing I'd look forward to is a small update of the English translation - another user mentioned a while back that the new update altered some descriptions, changed some references, etc and that broke some of the formerly translated text. This is especially noticeable in the Special Items, Achievements, Main Equipment, and Basement Floor texts IIRC.

Happy to be here! Very eager for the eventual releases of LoT2 on Steam and - by extension - LoT3.

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »
Hey folks, first post since the revival. I haven't been around for.. uhh. like 6 years I think. I wasn't banned or anything, I just kinda stopped playing various Touhou games, and didn't enjoy the sudden insertion of politics into various things. I din't look too deep into the new site, and I hope it's better in that regard, but if it isn't, that's fine, I  have no intention of doing much other than camping this thread for now.

In any case, I love Labyrinth of Touhou, it basically taught me to love the entire dungeon crawler genre, and I got an itch to play it again for the first time in a long while. I have the physical disc for special disc thanks to... I forgot his name.. the guy who was Letty's IRL friend who bought stuff from comiket and would ship it to fans here, thanks again man! Forza? Formosa? something F-ish I think. sorry, terrible with names.

anyway, I was getting the english patch and I saw 3.01, and I don't remember a big 3.0 patch, an I going nuts? Anyone have an idea of where I can find patch notes? I googled it, and I can find the translation patch, and ThLaby 2 info, but I can't for the life of me find the changes going from 2.whatever.. I think 2.14 was the last time I played, and 3.0.

Reading this thread is the first time I heard of thlaby 3. hype. I kinda prefer 1 over 2, but still enjoy 2, and never hard of it going to steam either until now. also hype. I think I'll have to re-buy the game just to support it as hard as I want to, and no, I'm not a money bags. I'm still using the same pc as I did since I was on the forum previously! I'm so broke qq =P.

Part of the reason why I quit Touhou is because I got a bigger monitor now (for years), and I j ust never was able to figure out how to play in windowed mode anymore without it trying to stretch to my screen, and well, with it being so big, I just can't accuratelyl read all the trajectories like I used to. It's very disheartening going from 1cc hard  with no effort, and 1cc lunatic with a month of practice or so, to... 1cc normal sometimes maybe.. *sobs*.

Anyway, thank you everyone involved for reviving the site. I didn't even know it was dead, but I would have been crushed to know it was so at any point. I left it because of reasons, but I still cared about it, and I'm happy to know that other people do too!

so if anyone has a link to the patch changes (particularly 3.0+, but would appreciate everything prior too since I don't know where exactly I left off), I would appreciate it

edit: I found my old ThLaby1 folder, and it's 3.01. disregard, thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:57:50 AM by Ghaleon »

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »
Finally got around to making an account! Huge fan of this game, glad to see that the fanbase is still alive after so many years. Bit of background; I got into this game after a good friend of mine introduced me to it last August. I have roughly ~255 or so hours in the game between my PC and Switch profiles and am currently at B4F of Plus Disk.

One thing I'd look forward to is a small update of the English translation - another user mentioned a while back that the new update altered some descriptions, changed some references, etc and that broke some of the formerly translated text. This is especially noticeable in the Special Items, Achievements, Main Equipment, and Basement Floor texts IIRC.

Happy to be here! Very eager for the eventual releases of LoT2 on Steam and - by extension - LoT3.

The latest patch did change a bunch of item descriptions, but I thought those were all fixed. Are you using the latest patch? I think this is the latest. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-l28Tb_hcKdxLdtPo3Y9sBQDtUkug_-R/view?usp=sharing

I do have some more unreleased changes but I thought they were all minor typo fixes and not anything major.

In any case, I love Labyrinth of Touhou, it basically taught me to love the entire dungeon crawler genre, and I got an itch to play it again for the first time in a long while. I have the physical disc for special disc thanks to... I forgot his name.. the guy who was Letty's IRL friend who bought stuff from comiket and would ship it to fans here, thanks again man! Forza? Formosa? something F-ish I think. sorry, terrible with names.

anyway, I was getting the english patch and I saw 3.01, and I don't remember a big 3.0 patch, an I going nuts? Anyone have an idea of where I can find patch notes? I googled it, and I can find the translation patch, and ThLaby 2 info, but I can't for the life of me find the changes going from 2.whatever.. I think 2.14 was the last time I played, and 3.0.

NForza.

I think you mostly figured it out but LoT1 has 3 versions: the original release that only goes up to 20F (1.x), the PLUS-DISK that adds up to 30F as an expansion (2.x) and Special Disk, which is the base game and expansion combined into a single package, plus new music and some other changes I can't recall anymore. This is 3.x, and the latest patch was 3.01. The most up-to-date English patch uses 3.01 as the base.

FantasyJared

• YouTube
    • FantasyJared#1783
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2021, 06:52:52 AM »
The latest patch did change a bunch of item descriptions, but I thought those were all fixed. Are you using the latest patch? I think this is the latest. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-l28Tb_hcKdxLdtPo3Y9sBQDtUkug_-R/view?usp=sharing

I do have some more unreleased changes but I thought they were all minor typo fixes and not anything major.

If my attachment is anything to go by, I'm almost certain my translation files are completely updated. August 2nd, right? And I started playing the game just after this, roughly the 10th-15th or so of that month. Most of the translation is perfectly fine, but I have encountered a number of text that is still in Japanese - for whatever reason. For example, there's a convo on 22F where one of the character lines is untranslated. Stuff like Items Discovery Weekly/Money-Growing Tree/Mr. Midnight Oil and that Main Equip that raises TP by 7 are also examples of this.

Do you get any of these issues? If so, then that is mostly what I'm referring to. If not, then perhaps something is outdated on my end? Honestly not entirely sure.

Ninja Edit - Just in case you're curious, I do open the game via the Out.exe as well. Also, I don't notice anything particularly wrong in the translation's .txt files - only thing that comes to mind is that the Items Discovery/Money-Growing/Mr. Midnight special items don't appear to have descriptions associated with them?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:03:39 AM by FantasyJared »

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
Do you get any of these issues? If so, then that is mostly what I'm referring to. If not, then perhaps something is outdated on my end? Honestly not entirely sure.

Ninja Edit - Just in case you're curious, I do open the game via the Out.exe as well. Also, I don't notice anything particularly wrong in the translation's .txt files - only thing that comes to mind is that the Items Discovery/Money-Growing/Mr. Midnight special items don't appear to have descriptions associated with them?

Whoops. No, those are busted. The latest patch increased how effective those items are, and that changed the description. This messes up the patching, since it looks for exact matches. I'll get this fixed in the files, but in all honesty it's minor enough that I'm not going to release a new patch for this.

If you're wondering, the txt files are used to create the out.exe translation, but don't do anything after that. They're included in the zip for translators to use.

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2021, 05:49:08 PM »
Ahh, nice to see an old translation patch face is still kicking and active. Is Deranged still around too? Also after seeing LoT3 mentioned I just took for granted there were some peeps a bout it, but looking at 3peso's site, I saw nothing. Is that just wishful thinking or were there tweets or something regarding it? While I was on the site, I saw screenshots of LoT2's skill menu, or talent menu, or whatever the terminology is, it's been so long I forgot. But it now has a tree thing going on. I got the impression those screenshots were from the console version of the game. Is the console version different or does our old melonbooks download version feature this too now?

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »
Deranged hasn't been around, but he's also popped back up after a few years of absence before, so it could happen again.

LoT3 is confirmed, in the sense of "it'll happen eventually". These games tend to have extremely long development periods. He's posted screenshots on twitter, including a new skill tree system and new character portraits (same artist as lot2). I'm assuming that's what you saw; I don't have the console version but I don't think it's significantly different from the PC version.

FantasyJared

• YouTube
    • FantasyJared#1783
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2021, 01:27:09 AM »
Shout-out to Thurler for sharing this awesome update with me at light-speed; we finally have visual confirmation on LoT3's map design!

It seems like they're really trying to create vivid, actual environments this time as opposed to simulating them. Furthermore, we have 720p and a proper 16:9 HD full screen. Absolutely beautiful!

Edit: Link to the Tweet in case anyone can't see the image file due to not being logged in: https://twitter.com/aaa_3peso/status/1361960979093876739
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:24:56 AM by FantasyJared »

« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2021, 02:28:41 AM »
Looking nice is good, but I hope it has improved functionality as well. That's one thing about LoT1 I liked more than 2 was that the 'stick-wall' system allows for more intricate maze designs. Often each floor or group of floors before the boss would have a king of navigational gimmick which made exploring each new area feel fresh, but 2 was mostly boxy rooms and hallways that didn't really mislead you at all.

The screen shot looks like they have levels of elevation. I suppose you can climb up only slight inclines, so that may be what I'm hoping for.

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2021, 08:14:34 PM »
I think what worked better with the 1st Labyrinth of Touhou was that it felt more of a struggle to clear each floor. Either by having tough new enemies or giant switch puzzles. (not a fan of the teleporter puzzles tho)
I felt LOT2 got better in that regards with the plus disk. Especially the underground floors, which had slippery floors, darkness and and block puzzles. It also made the floor design match with the current stratum. Like the holy floors had a symmetrical symbol like design, while the dark ones were full of small winding passages.

I ended up really liking the infinite corridor in Labyrinth of Touhou 2. It is something that I can play while tired. Possible while watching some stream on the other screen. As a result I got to floor 740 of the infinite corridor. There are so many combinations of allies and enemies that I never seem to get bored of it.

Zoomy Tsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
While 2's Plus Disk floors had interesting and nice gimmicks, the floor size was wayyyyyy overblown by the time you reached the last half of the top and basement floors. Traversal became so tedious just to get from one end to the other and to explore everything in between. Imo a combination of some of 2's gimmicks and 1's better gimmicks (please no repeat of 13F) but with a floor size limit of, say 1's 27F, would be the ideal combination.

ZephyrNightwind

• Again I rise into the realm of Gensokyo...
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2021, 02:18:28 AM »
Is there anything left to talk about? I mean no offense in asking...
Bullet hell never goes out of style.

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2021, 05:13:44 AM »
Well it was my intent to start playing again but for some reason my lot game wont launch anymore even though it did a couple times recently. I kinda am taking it as a queue to play 2 instead since I never did finish 2's + disk content. I was looking forward to it but when it came out, I got distracted by some other game's big release and kinda forgot about it. I think it was probably a trails of cold steel game, or maybe sky 3rd. I forget.

Does anyone know why my client may not be launching anymore? I'm using windows 10 now (tried compatibility mode). I see the game's icon on my task bar for like 3 seconds, then it vanishes.

Also, for 2. One of my gripes with that game is that I felt that alot of the mid to late game bosses had sky high defenses and it really felt like you had to rely on super mega nukes like Nitori's 3D cannon and such to really make a dent unless you were over level or something. How does + disk compare with this? I don't really like having more than 2 glass cannon piercing nuke characters, and I don't even really like having 2 even, but I don't want to curse my life if I commit to to having too few.

Also, does lot2 have a every character unlocked at floor 1 and they are level 1 save file like we made with 1? Or is that a basic game feature? I don't remember having access to it from before. I kinda wanna start from the start again but don't want to have to re-unlock all the cast.