Author Topic: Gensou Puppet Dance Performance  (Read 12748 times)

LonelyGaruga

• 傍若無人
Gensou Puppet Dance Performance
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:30:27 AM »
Discussion topic for FocasLen's Pokemon-inspired Touhou doujin RPG Gensou Puppet Dance Performance (幻想人形演舞, "Gensou Ningyou Enbu") and its expansion, Shard of Dreams (ユメノカケラ, "Yume no Kakera"). The playable cast includes 126 characters ranging from Highly Responsive to Prayers all the way to Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. Gameplay largely takes inspiration from the 2D Pokemon games, with gameplay mechanics based on gen VI. There are a large number of deviations in mechanics though, mostly stuff that improves quality of life and gameplay depth. The basic gameplay progression is also more like a standard RPG, no badges or anything. Here's the PV for those curious.

Links
Official Website
Base Game DLSite
Shard of Dreams DLSite
Base Game English Patch
Shard of Dreams English Patch

English Wiki
Shard of Dreams Japanese Wiki
Shard of Dreams Japanese Wiki 2 (PvP Centric)
Shard of Dreams Japanese Database, Damage Calculator, Team Builder
Shard of Dreams Japanese Offline Database
Shard of Dreams PvP Server + PvP Usage Statistics

--

I've been working on routing a challenge run of the game under the following guidelines.

-Tenshi starter (favorite character, you can use anyone in the game as the starter)
-Do all Touhou character fights (all optional fights in addition to required fights)
-Take as few turns as needed (not as restrictive as RTA)
-No KOs
-No in-battle items (I.E. healing items)
-Minimum reliance on RNG (kinda subjective guideline)

I've made it to the first Shinki fight so far, kinda stuck on that. Probably the hardest fight in the game, or at least one of them. I dunno if anyone else is playing or has been playing, but hoping I'm not the only person that wants to talk about this game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:34:06 AM by LonelyGaruga »

Tom

Re: Gensou Puppet Dance Performance
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:46:07 AM »
I've found that fight to be nigh impossible without items, even more so since you don't have access to the postgame where its possible to IV train.  The last puppet in the last battle is S ranked in every IV and has max EVs in every stat (not possible legitimately).  It also likely has a condition known as good AI, meaning it will pick its move after you pick yours and guarantee a super effective hit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:36:31 AM by Tom »

Gesh86

• Supporter of Hina
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Almost forgot I had Yume no Kakera, on my desk and not installed for a couple of years. Rectified that today upon seeing this thread  ;D.
Quick question: It seems the expansion can detect a completion data of the base game. What's the file it's looking for and where does it need to be?

LonelyGaruga

• 傍若無人
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »
I've found that fight to be nigh impossible without items, even more so since you don't have access gotten to the postgame where its possible to IV train.  The last puppet in the last battle is S ranked in every IV and has max EVs in every stat (not possible legitimately).  It also likely has a condition known as good AI, meaning it will pick its move after you pick yours and guarantee a super effective hit.

I actually figured out a way to do it using S Yuki and D Suika. I give S Yuki Fluorite + Field Barrier + Field Protect + Changeling, and invest in EVs so that she isn't 1HKO'd by S Hijiri's Shooting Press. I use Field Protect at the start and Shinki switches to S Hijiri due to Shooting Press being SE. In over 30 tests she always switched out S Junko. Field Protect turns Shooting Press into a 3HKO (barely), so S Yuki can use Field Barrier, then Changeling to break S Hijiri's Black Choker and switch in D Suika. D Suika has Battle Mania to lock in S Hijiri, Rations for recovery, and Strenuous Stance + Strike Shot + Aura Drain + Burn Strike for moves. Strenuous Stance gets used twice to put Focus Attack at +4, after which Aura Drain KOs S Hijiri and heals most of the damage done while buffing. The ace gets sent out next, as it has a SE move in the form of Ultra High Tone. With Field Barrier up, it's barely a 3HKO, and a +4 Aura Drain 2HKOs while healing off most of the damage done again. After KOing the ace, P Mima gets sent out, which gets 1HKO'd by +4 Burn Strike. D Suika needs to have EVs in Speed in order to outspeed P Mima, and needs to outspeed P Mima because Luminous Flux will KO, Field Protect is expired by now. The remaining puppets are all 1HKO'd by +4 Strike Shot. The battle takes 12 turns with this strategy. D Suika needs to be level 60 under the assumption of a B- in Focus Attack in order to 1HKO S Junko 100% of the time with a +4 Strike Shot, otherwise there's a possibility of missing the 1HKO.

Basically it generally goes like this

Start with S Yuki, Shinki sends out S Junko
T1: S Yuki uses Field Protect, S Hijiri is switched in
T2: S Hijiri uses Shooting Press on S Yuki (~49%), S Yuki uses Field Barrier
T3: S Hijiri uses Shooting Press on S Yuki (~98%), S Yuki uses Changeling, switches in D Suika, whose Battle Mania locks S Hijiri
T4-5: S Hijiri uses Shooting Press on D Suika (dunno why but this is her favorite move here), D Suika uses Strenuous Stance
T6: S Hijiri uses Shooting Press on D Suika, D Suika KOs S Hijiri with Aura Drain. P Shinki is sent out.
T7-8: P Shinki uses Ultra High Tone on D Suika, D Suika uses Aura Drain and KOs P Shinki. P Mima is sent out. On T8 Field Protect expires.
T9: P Mima uses Over Ray on D Suika (does almost 33%), D Suika KOs with Burn Strike. S Junko is sent out.
T10: D Suika KOs S Junko with Strike Shot. P Yumeko is sent out.
T11: D Suika KOs P Yumeko with Strike Shot. P Sariel is sent out.
T12: D Suika KOs P Sariel with Strike Shot

Presently my party composition is

P Tenshi
A Raiko
A Kogasa
D Suika
S Yuki

The combination of P Tenshi, A Raiko, and A Kogasa is very solid and can clear every fight in the main story under my restrictions except Yuuka, Mai, Yumeko, and Shinki, which the other two help with. Other puppets I've tested but found nonessential are E Marisa and S Yumemi. E Marisa's pretty good overall, S Yumemi was nigh useless all the way up until Yuki, where it can actually solo, although a few other puppets can also solo that fight, such as P Futo.

Almost forgot I had Yume no Kakera, on my desk and not installed for a couple of years. Rectified that today upon seeing this thread  ;D.
Quick question: It seems the expansion can detect a completion data of the base game. What's the file it's looking for and where does it need to be?

It wants the save file of the base game, but I don't know where to put it, maybe the save folder?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:47:44 AM by LonelyGaruga »

Gesh86

• Supporter of Hina
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
It wants the save file of the base game, but I don't know where to put it, maybe the save folder?

Apparently, the game always starts with "Cannot locate completion data", but then asks anyway if you want to load in the data. I answered "Yes" and not only was Hina pre-selected as a starter, she also had the special costume from the last game. So I guess it did find the file somewhere?