Author Topic: Seeking advice for avoiding bullets  (Read 132 times)

kur0na_

• my interactions with people are off the charts
Seeking advice for avoiding bullets
« on: Yesterday at 04:00:48 AM »
I've been playing Touhou games for a while now and I'm struggling with my vision and avoiding bullets effectively. I usually find it hard to focus on my character and the bullets at the same time. Is there any advice for improving this skill or is it just memorizing the bullet patterns after every play? Thanks.

- !
- !

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
Re: Seeking advice for avoiding bullets
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:28:52 AM »
-When the bullets are far, mentally project their direction in relation to where your hitbox should be

-When the bullets are close, don't look at them, look out for gaps instead

-Have a vague awareness of where your hitbox is at any given time (only look at it when micrododging is unavoidable)

-Avoid bottom hugging, it restrict the space you can move around and forces risky dodges upwards when cornered

-Familiarize yourself with alternating between focused and unfocused movement : slow down when there is a bullet somewhere in the direction you dodge to ; accelerate when you aim for a gap

-Prioritize positionning yourself in the 4 cardinal direction in relation to gaps between bullets (diagonal dodges should be last resort)

-Better time out bosses than die to bosses

-Better lose bombs than lives

-Don't chase for ressources or point of collection when there are bullets on the way

Grasp the basics first, considerations pertaining to strategies come later & practice makes perfect
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:34:05 AM by Suspicious person »

kur0na_

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:40:42 AM »
Most of the things in the list are my mistakes, lol. Thank you for the advice, I'll try that to my gameplay!

- !
- !

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:26:24 PM »
Don't expect quick results though. This is a genre that requires a unique set of skills, not to mention familiarity and confidence. It all comes with experience, but might take years to build up. You can still have lots of fun along the way, just don't set unrealistic goals too early. (And punch anyone saying Easy mode is not a valid way to play.)

Funbil

• Inspiration and love are the same feeling
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Steam
    • Linktree
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:22:28 AM »
Yeah, Suspicious pretty much covered everything, and quite eloquently as well. Just wanted to mention:

(And punch anyone saying Easy mode is not a valid way to play.)

When I was at Touhoufest a few weeks ago, tons of players in the game hall were playing on Easy mode. It's easy to feel inadequate when so much footage online is showcasing the extreme difficulty of Touhou games, so it was refreshing to see so many people recognize what skill level they were at and have no shame about where they find joy with these games.

High-Tension Yuuritsu

• Oriental Steel Warrior
  • 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:25:05 AM »
I agree about the resources point.
Getting Full Power Mode as fast as possible may be tempting, but don't get too greedy collecting items or bullets will catch you off guard.
「開運!」「厄除!」「縁結び!」「商売繁盛!」「安全祈願!」「巫力解放!!」「シュート!!!」

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:07:00 AM »
Suspicious covered most of it. If you're looking for something a bit simpler, I have an intro panel I gave at Touhoufest 2023 with some basic tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWM4C7fBSq8

The gist of it is 1) learn how to stream and restream; 2) Use practice tools

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:01:25 AM »
I agree about the resources point.
Getting Full Power Mode as fast as possible may be tempting, but don't get too greedy collecting items or bullets will catch you off guard.
I've had so many runs end prematurely because I'm always trying to get to point of collection. I don't even play to get a high score, I just have this instinctual desire to catch as many items as possible.

kur0na_

« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:15:25 AM »
I've had so many runs end prematurely because I'm always trying to get to point of collection. I don't even play to get a high score, I just have this instinctual desire to catch as many items as possible.
]

This is what i also do, i want to get the power points as fast as possible to complete it faster. x)
- !