~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center

What is the age rating of Touhou? (ONLY OFFICIAL GAMES.)

(1/3) > >>

SeroVich:
Just wanna know.  :cirnotan:

nintendonut888:
The few games that have been released officially on consoles have been rated T, due to various things like the depiction of alcohol and smoking, and having the final boss fight literally take place in the middle of a giant lake of flaming blood. In general though I think Touhou is pretty family friendly, if not necessarily geared towards children. It's nothing that kids weren't raised on in the 90s and 2000s, and with a few minor exceptions the series is as chaste as it comes with fanservice. About the only thing I think people might find objectionable is the strong implication that Reimu and Marisa were underage drinkers in the older games, but that's something you just have to take or leave.

Ka Takane:
The PC-98 games would probably be "Kids to Adults" (K-A) (now known as E for Everyone) :cirnotan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Rating_Board#Ratings

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

SeroVich:

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on August 21, 2023, 11:43:27 PM ---And with a few minor exceptions the series is as chaste as it comes with fanservice.

--- End quote ---

And how about Urumi's clothing choice? Do you think this clothing choice alone can be rated M, or not inappropriate enough that parents will not cover their kid's eye from it?

nintendonut888:
I have to wonder if you're being serious. Urumi's outfit is basically just a bathing suit with a coat - not even a particularly revealing one. When I said "minor exceptions" that didn't even cross my mind - I was referring to things that slipped in in some sidegames where ZUN had relatively less creative control, like Byakuren's infamous idle animation in Hopeless Masquerade. Even that would probably boost the rating to an E10 on its own at most.

But really, what does it matter what rating the series would get? Touhou has always operated on its own terms, and ZUN simply makes what he wants - it just happens that what he makes is something that you would generally feel comfortable showing to a child.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version